Sunday, October 11, 2015

Week 4: Pastor's Are Called Upon for Everything!

In the fourth week of our campaign something very interesting happened during my Saturday visiting time. I was just finishing witnessing to a man in the parking lot of an apartment complex when a Karen (Burmese refugee) lady came outside from the building and yelled over to me, "You, come here, inside now!" I turned and looked around behind me and said, "Are you talking to me?" The lady answered, "Yes you!" while pointing at me, "Help inside, now!" So my daughter and I ran into the building to see what was going on. Once in the hallway the lady started making motions with her hands around here stomach to indicated someone was pregnant. Then she said, "Bathroom" while pointing inside an apartment. I then realized what was probably going on and in I went....

Sure enough as I went inside there was several people gathered around the bathroom door. I looked in and saw a lady laying on the bathroom floor trying to have a baby. There was an elderly Karen lady trying to help her. I asked the crowd that was gathering if anyone had called 911. They said, "No English." I called 911 and got an ambulance to start coming to the apartment building. The operator asked me questions and instructed me while the baby was coming out. I wiped the babies mouth and made sure the throat was clear from the fluid. The operate told me the baby should be crying and instructed me to turn the baby over. After which the baby then started crying. The operator then asked me if the placenta had come out yet, I said, "No." Then a few moments later the mother pushed the placenta out. I told the operator, she said, "This was very good."

Now the operator asked me if the mother was doing okay. I said, she looks okay other than having just had a baby. The operator said, "You need to ask her if she is okay." I asked, but no response, because the mother doesn't understand English. Then it occurred to me how I could ask her about her condition in the Karen language. I said to the mother "O Soo Ah?" (Which means, How are you?) The mother answered back, "O Soo." (Which means good.) I told the operator, who then said to me, "good you can communicate in their language," I responded, "No, I only know a few greeting words in their language."

Now the operator wanted me to tie off the cord and cut it. I told her I did not have anything to do that with, so she suggested using my shoe lace. I told her I would wait for the paramedics, she told me that it had to be done pretty soon. thankfully about that time I heard the ambulance pulling up outside. I told the operator that the paramedics were here. They came in and relieved me from the rest of my duty. I was thankful for their timely arrival. AMEN!

This was an experience I have never had as a pastor and hopefully won't again. Although, I performed my duty, which caused me to think about the duty we have as Christians to help bring new converts into the world for the Saviour!
The Scene after the paramedics arrived!
 Sunday we had a good day with five first time visitors and several return visitors. During the invitation time we had 8 public professions of faith made and got to see one follow the Lord in believer's baptism. Praise God for a wonderful week and weekend!

Tha Mee Hser's mom comes to church!

Corey got saved and baptized!